Thursday, May 27, 2010

What To Wear: When Gardening

Since the end of the semester I have been reading Esquire Fashions for Men, a book written in 1966 about "modern" men's fashion. The book is kind of out of date in a couple of areas, but it provides an interesting lens to view the 1960's through. A lot less hippies, a lot more suits... But, one of the most interesting sections so far is about what you need to wear e when doing a sport or athletic activity. I found the chapter pretty laughable. Really, who plans there "sports car driving" outfit? But then I got to thinking. We really do plan our outfits for everything. In fact, almost any activity we do has a sub-category of clothing that is applicable for it. Golf polos, wet suits, orange hunting vests, whatever activity you fancy, there is attire specifically designed for it.

Personally, I fancy myself a gardener. Okay, well not all that seriously. But, I like to do it and I work at a cool community garden in my town. So, what is the appropriate gardening attire. Broken in jeans, a flannel, and work boots? I would say so. But, obviously my view is up for interpretation. The key is to be casual, but to realize that you are working. In New York you will see a lot of bros rocking flannels and work boots. But lets be honest, they are not going to do any yard work anytime soon. So, when dressing to actually garden keep practicality, and dirt, in mind. Get something functional, but not something sloppy.

Always look put together.


3 comments:

  1. finally! a guy that blogs about fashion! its nice to see that there are guys that really DO care about how they look and what they wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardening? When the hell do you tend to a garden? Nevertheless, I enjoy your fratastic articles about the intricacies of proper dress. You should write about how to dress accordingly for formal, semi-formal, the weekend football game, etc.

    Stay classy P.Kelp,

    Brigadier Beerbong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Peter,
    I have a writing opportunity for you. This is legit. Please email me at jrgadola@gmail.com as soon as you read this.
    Thanks,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete